|shichijou bussho 七条仏所|
|KEY WORD : art history / sculptures|
|A Buddhist sculpture workshop *bussho 仏所, located in Kyoto's Shichijou Takakura 七条高倉, which was founded by Jouchou's 定朝 (?-1057) son Kakujo 覚助 and active from the late Fujiwara period until the Edo period. Kakujo was followed by Koukei 康慶, Unkei 運慶 (?-1223), and his sons, who formed the *Keiha 慶派 school of sculptors. They worked in shichijou bussho, as well as in their headquarters in Nara Koufukuji 興福寺. Sources disagree about which workshop was set up first, but shichijou bussho is considered a branch of the Keiha, and the term shichijou bussho is occasionally used to refer to the Keiha in general. Examples of shichijou bussho work include the famous central Senju Kannon 千手観音 (1254) and 10 of the standing Kannon figures in Kyoto's Rengeouin 蓮華王院 (Sanjuusangendou 三十三間堂), made by Unkei's son Tankei 湛慶 (1173-1256). Several members of shichijou bussho formed separate workshops, which are in a broad sense considered to be part of the same school. Important branch schools include: shichijou nishi bussho 七条西仏所 established by Unkei's grandson Kouyo 康誉 in the 14c; shichijou naka bussho 七条中仏所, established in the 13c by Unkei's third son Kouben 康弁; and shichijou higashi bussho 七条東仏所 established in the 14c by Koushun 康俊, son of Unkei's sixth son Unjo 運助.|
|*nara busshi 奈良仏師, *nanto busshi 南都仏師|
(C)2001 Japanese Architecture and Art Net Users System. No reproduction or republication without written permission.