hikido 引戸
KEY WORD : architecture / general terms
A generic term for doors or windows which slide horizontally on sill and head jamb tracks. Some open on both sides and move in two directions ryoubikido 両引戸, or one door may be stationary and the other free to slide. There is also a single sliding door *katabikido 片引戸, and a pair of sliding doors which move in one track and rather than overlap, they butt together *meshiawase 召合. These are called hikishouji 引障子.

*mairado 舞良戸, *koushi 格子, *akarishouji 明障子, *hikichigai 引違

(C)2001 Japanese Architecture and Art Net Users System. No reproduction or republication without written permission.