|KEY WORD : architecture / buildings & structures|
|Lit. new hall. Several of Japan's temple complexes include a building known as shindou. One of the most famous is Houryuuji Shindou 法隆寺新堂 (1284) in Nara, which is located in the Saion-in 西園院, a small subsidiary temple belonging to Houryuuji. It is located to the west of the main temple. The main images enshrined are *Yakushi 薬師 flanked by Nikkou 日光 to the right, and Gakkou 月光, to the left, and the four deva kings *Shitennou 四天王. It is 3×3 bay hall (4.59m×5.59m) with a veranda across the front, along the right side and partially extending along the left. Beneath the building is a plaster covered mound called *kamebara 亀腹 (turtle stomach)which acts as a support. The building is supported also by veranda struts and base stones. The roof is hip-and-gable , covered with thin, finely layered shingles. The inscription on the ridge records the date of the building as 1284. The building was completely dismantled in 1954 and the roof was changed in 1982. The entrance is on the gable side and the gables are filled with rainbow beams and large-board frog-leg struts, kouryou kaerumata 虹梁蟇股. The structure has boat-shaped bracket complexes *funahijiki 舟肘木, double eaves *futanoki 二軒, and widely spaced rafters, kamebara daruki 亀腹垂木. When it was constructed, it was a square 3×3 bay hall, with wide bays. However, the present hall was remodeled (date unknown) to a 3×2 bay hall, with a single bay added on the rear. The ceiling is finely latticed and coffered *kogumi goutenjou 小組格天井. It is in the wayou style *wayou 和様.|
(C)2001 Japanese Architecture and Art Net Users System. No reproduction or republication without written permission.