|KEY WORD : architecture / buildings & structures|
| Also called kanjouin 潅頂院. The hall used to
conduct the ceremony to confer the basic precepts and mystic teachings of Esoteric
Buddhism, mikkyou 密教, on young men who are to be trained as Buddhist priests.
An important part of the ceremony is the pouring of water over the young men's
heads as part of their initiation rites. Kanjou are known to have existed
at Mt. Kouya 高野, Wakayama prefecture, the headquarters of the Shingon 真言 sect, and
at Jingoji 神護寺 in Kyoto. Only one Shingon sect kanjoudou still exists at
Kyouougokokuji 教王護国寺 (also called Touji 東寺) in Kyoto. This building, called the Kanjouin
潅頂院, was rebuilt in 1634. The TOUHOUKI 東宝記 describes the original kanjoudou,
at Mt. Kouya, as having been constructed in the twin hall style *narabidou
双堂, with a large main hall *shoudou
正堂, of 5×4 bays and a separate worship hall *raidou
礼堂. These two halls were connected by a passage-like hall called an *ai-no-ma
(C)2001 Japanese Architecture and Art Net Users System. No reproduction or republication without written permission.