|shukuin busshi 宿院仏師|
|KEY WORD : art history / sculptures|
|A guild of Buddhist sculptors active in Nara (see *nanto busshi 南都仏師) in the Muromachi period. Their workshop was called shukuin bussho 宿院仏所 or shukuin bussho-ya 宿院仏所屋, after its location in Shukuin 宿院. The shukuin busshi were originally carpenters and wood craftsmen, kiyose banshou 木寄番匠, who switched to making Buddhist images. They were one of the first groups of Buddhist sculptors *busshi 仏師, since the Tenpyou period to work as laymen, without assuming the status of monks. Important shukuin busshi included Genji 源次, Genzaburou 源三郎, Genshirou 源四郎, and Gengorou 源五郎. They made many wooden statues, often commissioned by small temples in the Nara area, for example the Shakazou 釈迦像 and Yakushizou 薬師像 in Higashida Yakushidou 東田薬師堂 (1545).|
(C)2001 Japanese Architecture and Art Net Users System. No reproduction or republication without written permission.