|KEY WORD : art history / paintings|
|One of the three painting studios or guilds za 座 of the *nanto-edokoro 南都絵所 in Nara connected with Koufukuji's 興福寺 Ichijouin 一乗院 sub-temple. The studio painted at the behest of and was supported by the Ichijoun. The Shibaza was organized during the middle of the Kamakura period, around 1234-5, and continued to be active until the Momoyama period. Many of its artists used the character "kan 観" in their names, and for this reason it is sometimes referred to as the Kan school, Kanha 観派. Members of the school include: Kanjitsu 観実 and Kanshun 観舜, who painted in the late Kamakura period; Kankei 観慶 of the Nanbokuchou period, Kanshin 観深, Kansei 観盛, Kankaku 観覚, Kanson 観尊, Keishun 慶舜, Keijun 慶順 and Keijun 慶純, among others, of the Muromachi period. In addition to painting scrolls, studio members applied color to carved Buddhist sculpture and to architectural structures.|
(C)2001 Japanese Architecture and Art Net Users System. No reproduction or republication without written permission.