|KEY WORD :@art history / paintings|
| One of
the painting guilds or studios za ΐ in the atelier *nanto-edokoro
μsG in Nara, which flourished between the Kamakura and Muromachi periods.
It was founded by Yuuson LΈ, a follower of the Kose no Kanaoka ¨ΰͺ (act.
late 9c-early 10c) school
*Koseha ¨h of painting, who left Kyoto for Nara in the early Kamakura period. He attached
himself to the painting ateliers of Ichijouin κζ@ and Daijouin εζ@ at Koufukuji
». Later his eldest son Gyouson ΔΈ became the head of Ichijouin Handaza and his second son head of Daijouin Handaza. Gyouson was a skilled artist
who produced the 1254 Shoukou mandara ΉcΦδΆ
at Houryuuji @² and
his son Gyougon ΔV, who produced the Yakushiji ita-e shinzou
ςtΒG_ in 1295, also displayed outstanding ability. Gradually, however,
the Ichijoin Handaza was surpassed by the *Shibaza
Εΐ and the *Shounamiza
Όμ@ΐ studios, and from the middle of the Muromachi period took on the name
Handasukeza fcΐ. The Daijouin Handaza was active throughout the Kamakura
and Muromachi periods. In 1288, Gyouyuu's ΔL son, Yuugen L΅ worked as a
painter for Hasedera ·J. Nehan-zu ΈΟ} (Nezu ͺΓ Museum,
Tokyo), dated 1345, was painted jointly by Yuugen and his son Senyuu κL.
(C)2001 Japanese Architecture and Art Net Users System.@No reproduction or republication without written permission.